Affiliate ABCs hosts Deborah Carney and Vinny O’Hare joined Kim Salvino, Amy Ely, and Jeannine Crooks of buy.at to talk about best practices, tools, and ideas for coupon sites in the affiliate industry.
- Best practices – ensuring sites are adding value and providing complete, updated coupons, removed expired deals and coupons quickly
- Tools available – such as For Me To Coupon, buy.at’s OfferCentral, Shareasale Network Deals Database
- Ideas – consider niche targeting, work with merchants to create unique coupons
- Scripts, plugins – don’t use them “out of the box”. Customize, change, build your traffic. No script or plugin is going to bring you traffic, they are only the display mechanism
- Check Merchant Rules about coupon sites – some practices like “Click to Reveal Code” are prohibited, know and follow the rules.
If managed well, these sites can tap into the massive revenue opportunity presented by digital coupons in the US market. Specifically, eMarketer forecasts that 88.2 million US adults that will redeem online coupons or codes in 2011. That’s a huge number, but you have to build a site that gives them value to find you and not just toss up an automatically generated site and hope they find it. One example: Find a niche like fishing and find deals and coupons that appeal to fisherman.
Listen for a lot more great tips about how to run a coupon site that will bring revenue and not headaches.
Find us on Twitter:
Thanks to Geekcast.fm for hosting our podcasts, check them out for lots of other great podcasts about affiliate marketing and marketing in general.